Ummah Central


Monday 28 January 2013

watching my tongue

Ibn Wahb narrates that Luqman’s answer to the question about what had raised his status that people came to him for advice was: 
“Lowering my gaze, watching my tongue, eating what is lawful, keeping my chastity, undertaking my promises, fulfilling my commitments, being hospitable to guests, respecting my neighbors, and discarding what does not concern me. All these made me the one you are looking at.”

Luqman then advises his son to be moderate in his walking: “And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking, and lower your voice,” i.e., if you talk, do not raise your voice very loudly because the braying of the donkey is the harshest of all voices

“O my son! I have never regretted keeping silent. If words are silver, silence is golden” (told by Hasan after Al-Junaid after Sufyan).

“O my son: Let your speech be good and your face be smiling; you will be more loved by the people than those who give them provisions.” · (narrated by Abu Mu’awiyah after Hisham Ibn ‘Urwah).

· Yazid Ibn Hamn and Waki’ told us after Abul Ashab about Khalid Ar-Rab’i as saying: “Luqman was an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. One day, his master ordered him to slaughter a goat and bring him the most pleasant and delicious two parts from it. Luqman brought him the tongue and heart. The master asked: “Didn’t you find anything more pleasant than these?” Luqman said: “No!” After a while, the master ordered him to slaughter a goat and to throw away two of the most malignant parts. Luqman slaughtered the goat and threw away the tongue and heart. The master exclaimed and said: “I ordered you to bring me the most delicious parts and you brought me the tongue and heart, and I ordered you to throw away the most malignant parts and you threw away the tongue and heart, how can this be?” Luqman said:“Nothing can be more pleasing than these if they are good and nothing can be more malicious than these if they are malignant.”Taken from: “Stories of the Prophet” by Ibn Kathir

No comments:

Post a Comment