Ummah Central


Thursday 24 November 2011

The knowledge of a hypocrite is in his speech

It was said to Ibn Al-Mubarak: “What is the best that man has been given?” He said: “The honour of intellect”. It was said: “And if he doesn’t have that?” He said: “A good character”. They said: “And if he doesn’t have that?” He said: “A righteous companion to give him advice”. They said: “And if not that?” He said: “Long periods of silence which he observes”. They said: “And if not that?” Abdullah Ibn Mubarak replied: “Then a quick death! (mawt al-aajil!)”

["Rawdat Al-Uqalaa", 1/2].


Younus Bin Ubayd said:
“I know one hundred virtues, and I don’t know whether I posses even one of them”.

["Tahzib Al-Kamal", 32/524].


Abu Ad-Dardaa said: “You will not become an aalim (scholar) until you become a mut’alim (student) and you will not become a muta’alim (student) until you act upon the knowledge you posses”.

["Iqtidaa-u al'ilmi al'amal", 29].


Ibn Al-Jawzi writes:
“Abu Darda used to sit next to graves and when he was asked about this, he replied, ‘I am sitting amongst those people who remind me of the hereafter and when I leave, they will not backbite me”.

["Minhaj Al-Qasideen", 432].

Abdu Allaah ben Al-Mu’taz said:
“The knowledge of a hypocrite is in his speech, while the knowledge of a believer is in his actions" 

["Iqtidaa-u al'ilmi al'amal", 38].

No comments:

Post a Comment